1 large bowl
1 large stainless steel pot
1 large canning pot (or big stock pot)
6-7 pint jars, sterilized and kept hot
1 jar remover (to get the jars out of the boiling water)
7-8 large pears (approx. 11 lbs)
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 cups sugar
6 cups water
- Wash and peel the pears. I used a potato peeler. Remove the core/seeds. Slice or cut - I cut into large cubes.
- Place pears in a large bowl and pour lemon juice over. Stir to cover all the fruit. The lemon juice will prevent the fruit from browning while you prepare the light syrup.
- Fill the canning pot half full of water and set over high heat to bring to boil.
- In a large stainless steel pot, bring sugar and water to boil stirring frequently.
- Add the pears to the pot and boil for 5 minutes.
- Ladle pears into hot jars, leaving one inch headspace. Add enough syrup to cover the pears.
- Screw the lids on tightly and place in the canning pot with boiling water. The water should be about one inch above the top of the jars.
- Boil for 20 minutes.
- Remove and let cool to room temperature.
- Store in a cool, dark location