November 30, 2012

Golden Honey Corn Bread

It's raining outside.  Gloomy, dark, cloudy and chilly.  Sometimes it feels depressing.  But I find if I use the feeling of staying inside to embrace the best of everything winter, I end up with a feeling of comfort and coziness instead.  Knitting, reading, drinking tea, watching favorite movies and baking.

Of course I still have to trudge outside to feed the animals, gather eggs and make sure everyone is OK.  Today the sheep were begging for more oats.  I gave in and pour an extra scoop in the trough.  The chickens seem completely non-pulsed by the weather.  They were happily pecking away along the stream.  We are only getting an egg a day right now.  But yesterday we got two - woot!  So, I had a fried egg for breakfast.

Now I'm bake inside baking some bread.  The house smells great!  The bread will be going with me to my co-workers house for a celebration.  Others are making a variety of soups.  Since one of the soups will be tortilla - the soup in a pot and bowls of toppings to add like cilantro, avocado, chips, sour cream - I decided to make golden honey corn bread. I can't wait to hang out with everyone tonight and enjoy some good eats.  Here is the recipe:

Golden Honey Corn Bread
1 loaf - 1.5 lb

1 cup very warm water
2 Tbls canola oil or melted butter
3 Tbls honey
1/3 cup corn meal
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup potato flakes
3 cups bread flour
1 1/2 Tbls powdered milk
1 1/2 tsp active yeast

Place water, oil, honey and corn meal in the bread pan.  Let sit for 15 minutes.  Add the remaining ingredients.  Use the basic or white setting for 1.5 pound.  Allow to cool completely before slicing.  You can see in the picture that my loaf was still a little warm when I cut in so it didn't slice cleanly.  Thankfully it still tastes wonderful!

No comments: