September 5, 2011

Labor Day Weekend

This is the first Labor Day weekend since moving to the farm that we didn't do any farming. None. We managed to cobble together family and friends to farm sit for us while we went camping.
It wasn't all relaxation, although there was some of that. We recently purchased a piece of recreational property on the Cowlitz River. So we spent the weekend surveying the property lines. That meant some serious bush-whacking during one of the hottest weekends we have had so far this summer. But since I had never surveyed anything before, it was actually fun learning how to set a line. In the end we found 3 of the 4 corners. I also sweat about 2 gallons and acquired multiple mosquito bites. I sitting, covered in Calamine Lotion, downing glass after glass of water.

We came home to a well cared for farm. Of course I'm now way behind on harvesting and processing food. I guess I know what I'll be doing next weekend.

2 comments:

Robin said...

I love camping. We haven't got to go this year. We have so many things to do before it gets cold that I doubt we will get to go. Oh well, next year hopefully.

Mindy said...

I know! I use to camp all the time and this year we went once, barely. Now we are backlogged with food processing. Oh well, I'm glad we took the weekend off.