October 26, 2010

Before Dawn

Since acquiring farm animals, my sleeping has become lighter and my need to get up multiple times a night to investigate sounds a more frequent event. I'm not talking about the kind of sounds that city-folk up in the middle of the night; such as, "did I hear something in the back yard?" The sounds that wake me up are "was that a coyote in the pasture?" or "what did the cat bring in?" (On that last one, see an earlier post called "Mouse in the Night")

Last night I was up in the middle of the night because I heard one of the sheep baahhing. My first step, always, is to look down off the back deck to see if I can see all of the sheep. They have a light on in their pole barn at night. Last night, I could see all four. I have no clue what they were upset about. I went back to bed and the cats joined me. For the next hour the cats kept pestering me for petting.

As I got out of the shower, I opened the window to let the steam out and one of the lambs was baahhing like crazy. I mean like there was something seriously wrong, like her leg was being chewed off by a coyote. I flew out onto the deck, naked (it was still dark and raining) but I couldn't see any of the sheep and the lamb was even louder. I threw on jeans and a flannel, flip flops and a hat; grabbed a flash light and ran down to save our little lamb from what seemed to be pending death. As I came around the corner of the barn, the baahhing stopped and all four came calmly walking around into the pole barn. No blood, no limping, no nothing. What the ...!

No comments: