November 20, 2013

Traditional, Homemade Thanksgiving Dinner - Installment #6: Pumpkin Pie

Ok, I have a huge admission to make here.  Even though I make lots statements about cooking from scratch, there is one thing I just can't get right and thus I buy pre-made every time.  And that is ... pie crust.

Stop laughing.  Pie crust is hard to get right.

My mom can do it.  Her crust comes out nice and flaky.  Mine shrinks, get's thick, doesn't cook all the way through or burns.  It's too wet, too greasy, too dry.  It's never right.  So I buy Pillsbury, pre-made, refrigerator pie crust.  And worse yet, I let people believe that it's completely homemade.  Little white lie.

Therefore this installment of "traditional, homemade Thanksgiving dinner" is just about the pie filling.  If you want a good pie crust recipe, talk with my mom.  Or cheat like I do and just keep quiet about it.

Pumpkin Pie makes 2 pies
4 eggs
5 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground colves
3 1/3 cup canned milk

Pre-heat oven to 350 F.  Beat eggs then stir in pumpkin.  Add dry ingredients.  Add milk and stir thoroughly.  Pour into two pie crusts.  Bake 1 hour or until a knife inserted into the middle of the pie comes out clean.  Let cool 15 minutes before cutting.


No comments: