September 1, 2012

Nachos

We were sitting watching some college ball when Farmer Jeb said, "You know what I'm craving?"  "Humph?" I replied.  "Nachos." He stated.  (I think the Taco Bell commercial trigger a need.)

"We can make those.  If you go pick some tomatoes from the garden and snips some chives from the front raised bed, I'll get started."

We had a can of black beans and my homemade taco seasoning, which I mixed together.  And even though I pickled all day and used 4 bell peppers there was still one red bell pepper remaining in the fridge, so I chopped that up.  The only tomatoes we have that are ripe in the garden are sunglobe cherry matters (yum!).  Farmer Jeb brought those up along with chives.  I quartered the tomatoes and set the oven to 350 F.  Let the assembly start ...

1.  A nice thick later of tortilla chips on a pizza stone.
2.  Shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
3.  Half of the beans, bell peppers, tomatoes and chives.
4.  Second layer of chips.
5.  Second layer of cheese, beans, bell peppers, tomatoes and chives.
6.  One more layer of cheese - because you just can't have enough cheese.

If we had had it, I would have included shredded cooked chicken or cooked ground beef.  But no luck, so this had to be a vegetarian dish but you'd never know.


The end result looks like a volcano of goodness!   Into the oven for 20 minutes.  I know that sounds like a long time, but you want the cheese in the middle to melt and the tomatoes and bell peppers get a little soft.


Lordy the end results look amazing!  And the scents - killer!  We served with sour cream and Tapatillo.  If we had avacado, I would have put some out.  

Dive in!  Enjoy!  Devour!


Since our daughter is spending the week with her grandparents, it was just Farmer Jeb and me for dinner tonight.  The nachos clearly would feed 4 people.  But the two of us down them all!  All!  Farmer Jeb said "Craving has been dealt with.  Thank you!"



No comments: