August 15, 2011

Chicken Fried Rice

Let me start by stating that we did not raise the chicken meat. Why, you ask. Because I'm nervous about taking the plunge into fryers. It seems so intense; wham, bam and you're butchering. I think we're going to try a turkey first and see how that goes. So for the time being, I purchase chicken from Draper Farms who, lucky for me, distributes through my local produce and meat market. Draper Farms meat is all pasture raised and local - next best thing to doing it myself.

Tonight we made delicious chicken fried rice, one of my favorite dishes. This recipe is from Weight Watchers, so it's way less fattening and salt ridden than your standard restaurant variety. But don't be fooled - this isn't a cut the fat, cut the flavor recipe. This is a full bore meal that the whole family will eat for at least 2 nights - it makes 6 plus servings. Bonus - all the ingredients, except the chicken and the rice, are in my garden right now.

Chicken Fried Rice
1 1/2 c water
1 T butter
1 c dry rice
4 chicken breast halves, skin and bones removed
Cooking spray
3 eggs
2 medium carrots
3 garlic cloves
3 green onions
3 Tbls low sodium soy sauce
1 cup fresh shelled peas

Directions
Bring water to boil, add butter and rice. Cook over low until all the water is absorbed. Meanwhile, fire up the grill to medium-high heat and BBQ the chicken breasts until done through.

While the rice and chicken are cooking. Shred the carrots, chop the garlic and slice the onions, including the whites. Spray a large cast iron skillet with oil to coat the bottom of the pan and place on medium heat. Add 3 eggs and scramble while cooking until done. Put eggs on a separate plate. Spray the pan again and add carrots and garlic. Saute 5 minutes. Add onions and saute 3 minutes. Chop cooked chicken into bite-sized pieces. Add peas, rice and chicken to pan. Pour soy sauce over. Mix and heated through.

I like to serve this with roasted cauliflower, but I don't grow cauliflower and didn't have any tonight. If you do have cauliflower and want to cook some up here is what I do. Cut one head into bit-sized florets. Toss with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and ground cumin. Roast in oven at 400 F until fork tender.

No comments: