July 21, 2011

Farm Sitter

I have complained a few (or more than a few) times about how hard it is to go away on vacation when you own a farm, even a little farm like ours. Someone has to be here, period. Thankfully, four years ago my co-worker said "Sure, I'd love to come watch the farm for a week." Desiree grew up on a ranch, so she is a perfect person to take care of the animals. Plus, living in Portland, she misses the country and really enjoys hanging out here.

Since the number one question I get from co-workers is how much time do you spend working on the farm and I just completed a daily checklist for Desiree, I thought I'd post the checklist in the blog so people can take a gander at my every day:

Morning as you leave for work (or on Sunday)
o Let the cats go out
o Toss double-hand-full of scratch to chickens
o Pour a full blue scoop of oats into the sheep’s trough
o Pour ¼-full blue scoop oats into Junior’s black bowl
o Let the chickens out of their run and close the gate on the driveway
5-7:00pm
• Toss the fish about ¼ c of fish food (by door)
• Toss double-hand-full of scratch to chickens and close them in their run
o Give them any kitchen scraps you want
• Pour a full blue scoop of oats into the sheep’s trough
• Pour ¼-full blue scoop oats into Junior’s black bowl
• Fill pig feed if less than 1/3 full (approx. every 3 days)
• Give pigs old bread (on counter) and fruit/veggie scraps (not tomatoes)
• Remove eggs from coop – hinges on the back – and put in fridge
• Check chicken food/water – fill if out (feed in middle garbage can)
• Fill pig’s wallow
• Check sheep and Junior water – fill if out
8-9:00 pm
• Water front flower beds and hanging baskets every couple of days (or every day if temperature is over 90 F) – turn water off at house because the hose leaks
• Call the cats in and give them dinner – in the pantry
Middle of the Night (rarely)
• If you hear the coyotes, turn on the back deck lights

That's it and it's not that much. The weekends are an entirely different story and one that I'll save for another post. I am here by signing off for the next 8 days - no internet, no cell, no cable, just my family and the lake.

No comments: